Whether the summer temps are heating up and you need a fun indoor activity, or it’s freezing outside, and you want to warm up indoors, baking is always a great idea! Soft pretzels are one of my family’s go-to simple snack ideas! I made both my children soft pretzels before sitting down to write this!
But baking is such a fun and educational activity. Plus, once you make a batch, you can freeze some for later instead of purchasing the frozen ones from the store!
Pretzels are great solo or for dipping in a sauce! Check out this list of fifteen delicious homemade pretzel dips from Taste of Home!
This pretzel recipe from The Domestic Rebel is called Perfect and Easy Soft Pretzels, and they genuinely are!
If you don’t bake a lot of bread, you might not have active dry yeast at home. However, yeast is inexpensive and has a relatively long shelf life. Or, if you prefer, you can purchase active dry yeast in packets for single use.
You probably have all the ingredients you need to make this simple snack idea other than yeast!
You can read the full directions here, but below is a list of ingredients needed to do a quick kitchen check!
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) of active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water around 110°-115°F
- 2 Tablespoons softened butter
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2¾ cups all-purpose flour may not need all of it
BAKING SODA SOLUTION
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- Coarse sea salt for sprinkling
- 1/4 cup melted butter
Ways to Extend the Play
It’s almost guaranteed that after your little one helps you create this delicious and simple snack idea, they’ll want to make pretzels all the time. So here are some fun ways to extend the pretzel-making play!
- Playdough Pretzel Factory – make homemade scented playdough and set up a pretend pretzel factory!
- Bakery Dramatic Play – set up your child’s dramatic play area like a bakery. They can sell pretzels, cakes, cupcakes, etc. – whatever play food they can access! Use play money to increase their concept of items costing money and mathematical knowledge.
- Try your hand at making chocolate or yogurt-covered pretzels. These tasty snacks are another simple snack idea, and they go great in trail mix!
- Create a pretzel-themed sensory bin filled with salt, tongs, measuring cups, this adorable pretzel teether toy, and baking-themed stress toys!
- Have a pool? Check out this pair of giant, inflatable pool pretzels!
Updated June 4th, 2023, by L. Elizabeth Forry